Connection Process or Effective Interaction or Communication Skills are such subjects that has been properly researched and many authors have stuffed volumes of pages to make clear all the nitty-gritty involved in communication and make clear to the soil how one can and must speak with others or group of people. A basic Google search for “Effective Communication” generates 44 , 000, 000 pages. Yet, I believe the communication process as a whole is dictated by certain myths and misnomer. We are setting up this write-up to touch after some of those myths and offer clarity. toll free number service provider in india
1) Language is crucial for effective communication process – In India; we speak more than 18 recognized ‘languages’. Have you ever thought about how does a Kashmiri local communicate with his fellow citizen from Lower part of India or our Marathi Maanus (local from Maharastra) communicate with other country men from Eastern India? They avoid use common language to communicate with one another or express their thoughts. Yet, they communicate effectively, if not efficiently. The ability to read, write and speak any particular language or set of dialects comprises only 10% of communication process and the balance of 90% of communication process contains your body-language, facial expressions, communication, context, complexity or ease of the message (words, terminologies, and jargons used in the message), hearing, perceiving, interpreting and supplying feedback. How efficient or inefficient you are throughout the 90% of the communication processes makes the overall communication process either effective or ineffective.
2) Successful communication means your potential to communicate in English language Language – Do you know how does the Premier’s of world’s top three economies (President of China Hu Jintao; Primary Minister of Japan Yukio Hatoyama and President of USA Barack Obama) get in touch with one another on world forum? Mr. Hu Jintao and Mr. Yukio Hatoyama have very limited understanding of English language and Mr. Barack Obama is not known for his proficiency in Chinese or Japanese language. It is an irony for our generation to work with “effective communication” and “proficiency in English language” as synonym. You cannot make a defense by stating that the English is a widespread language for communication, since it is not. Chinese is the generally used [add language] for communication purposes, followed by Spanish at and second and British at number three. This is also interesting to make note of that the number of men and women involving Chinese for communication outnumbers the total amount of folks that uses Romance language and English combined. Right now there are many prominent people, head of states, historians, and other celebrities who are incredibly effective and important in their native terminology, be it French, Italian language, Hindi, Arabic or any other language, nonetheless they are not good with English vocabulary. Does this mean that they may be not effective communicators or they have insufficiency in their communication? British is not the only language used for communication but is one amongst many other languages used and for the purpose.
3) Ability to write and speak proficiently qualifies you as an outstanding communicator – If you write well in any language then you can become a writer and if you speak well at any language then you can be a good speaker or orator but that won’t qualify as an outstanding communicator. What will you need to do with your ability to create beautifully and speak fluently when whatever you write is a piece of unrelated nonsense and whatever you speak is senseless trash? Communication is not simply about speaking and writing. This is about comprehending the communication, context of the concept and time of communication.
4) What you talk is not as important as how you speak – There is a difference between being a communicator and like a someone and the key big difference is related to the ownership of the meaning. When you communicate, you really know what you are conversing, you take-up the responsibility and you also provide clarification, if required. Subject matter expertise is important. Verifying your facts and figures is important. Acquiring up the ownership is important. When you are a spokesperson, you pass-on the message made by others and are not able to provide any clarification and enhancement.
5) People keeping command over two different languages cannot communicate proficiently – Language is one of the modes to communicate and fortunately, not necessarily the only way. Although communicating, your message, body-language, facial expression and self-confidence level, should sync to make it an efficient communication. Recently, I traveled to a laundry shop to evaluate the cost. I can connect in three languages but the shop-owner didn’t know any of those 3. Yet, we communicated, confirmed our message, gave opinions to one another and gave acknowledgement of popularity of message. Communication across languages and cultures is possible, provided we reduce our self-constructed hurdles. If perhaps I decide to to never understand or accept the message then doesn’t subject language or mode of communication the other person uses, Let me never understand. It has a lot to do with the willingness and desire of both the get-togethers involved in communication process.
6) “No communication” is good communication – In our personal life as well as in work-life we ignore or stop many requests for communication. We imagine it is good to not react to a particular message. We all support the information which is meant to be passed-on to people up or down the hierarchy. “No response” or “No communication” or “No feedback” is not considered as good communication but this in turn strangles and complicates many workplaces as well as family relations that actually require frequent exchange of messages for their very existence.